MIndset

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mindset (Page 22-27)



I learned this lesson a few years ago. Everyone around me was concerned with their weight and their image. They were trying to get bigger and stronger talking about this all of the time. I had done this for years as well but I would reward myself from time to time by scarfing down some snacks or a big meal in front of a movie I wanted to watch. It occurred to me that I wanted to scarf down food and snacks while watching T.V. at that time in my life. The reason I did not was basically reduced to a form of peer pressure and what I was “supposed” to do. I changed my thinking in this area and decided that I would rather be fat and happy then in shape and miserable.
This may seem strange to you, and it was to many. This is the opposite of what most people say and think. The thing is I was saying what most everyone else was thinking. There was actually some envy in the eyes of those who were staying in shape for all the wrong reasons.
In the back of my mind I knew that this sort of thinking was not really going to serve me very well for long. I achieved my goal of becoming fat (at least fatter) and I did have moments of happiness, but in the end I knew that this was not a goal I could actually stay behind. The reason for this thinking was paramount though, it was honest. I took a real look at what I really wanted to do and compared that to what I was doing and I realized that the two were very far apart.
At the end of the day I also came to the conclusion that I did not “really” want to sit around and shove food in my mouth while watching television. That sort of a life is boring to me. Furthermore, I was not all that happy with the unhealthy part of this business. So again my own thoughts betrayed me. What is it that I really wanted?
I think I wanted what a lot of us want. I wanted to be happy, healthy, and satisfied without having to do anything about it. This dichotomy is a huge part of our human condition. We want the results of a life well lived before we experience such a life. In other words we do not really want to suffer through the lessons and things that bring us to the life we hope for, we simply want the life that we hope for.
Along the way our mind will always try to shortcut the path, not to destroy us but to help us. The thing is if we listen to what our mind doesn’t understand we will become sidetracked down paths that are completely off course. Your mind looks at a box of cake mix and says, “Let’s eat that cake.” And so you break open the box but there is no cake inside only the ingredients to make a cake. Your immature mind says, “Let’s eat the ingredients then… they must be good… it is cake.” So you taste the mix but it is objectionable. Then your mind begins to relent letting you read the instructions. All along the way your mind makes suggestions to try and speed the process up. If you leave some ingredients out it will be done sooner. You don’t really have to stir that long, are you sure it needs to sit for this much time? Even during the cooking your mind is telling you to check it early and try it now. Who will you listen to? You can listen to your mind who wants to get there faster or you can reign it in and set the course for your mind so that the job is done right.
Your mind gives into your constant pressure and begins to agree with what you are telling it. The thing is your mind may still be trying to convince you that your old way of getting things done is better. If you forget about the cake and it burns, your mind will say, “You should have let me handle it.” No… you should have set a timer… for now your mind still has to learn that you are serious about taking the situation under control. If you slip on the details your mind will take that as you not being fit to run this show and overcoming that self talk can be tough.
In the cake scenario we are just trying to get a handle on the course our mind wants to take us. You have to get a handle on the course you want to go first and be sure that your mind recognizes that this is really where you are headed. So in addition to actually setting the goal or the course you have to learn to track your progress. You will sometimes make the wrong choice and let your mind lead you away too early. You have to have a record of that course so you know how to adjust. Perhaps you didn’t put in an ingredient the recipe called for. Correct your course by looking at the record and being sure to add that ingredient next time. Perhaps you burnt the cake… set a timer… do not leave it up to your mind to remember something when it does not yet understand why you are going through all of this in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment