MIndset

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Mindset (Page 13-17)



The interesting part of the story is that I had crawled in the hole, feet first. You see my toddler head was much bigger then my body so when I did this I was expecting to simply travel through the space and probably repeat the action again and again. I had not even considered that my head would not fit because I was not all that aware of the size of my head. Think about that, a child doesn’t really see the space around their head; our human eyes don’t allow this without a mirror. So when the “I” that I could see got through the chair I was left with the assumption that the rest of me would follow.
When my father pointed out that I should remember how I got to this point, I calmed down and climbed forward through the chair. My body was free and I felt much better. I doubt that I took as much away from the experience as I am able to put into it now to the exception of this one idea, you can often times get out of a mess by going the opposite direction that you took to get into that mess.
The really interesting part about this is that at some point you will again be faced with passing over all the steps that led you to your danger in the first place. When you are traveling out of harm’s way, the sneering power that the path had on the way in is somehow diminished. Even further, I could crawl in and out of that same hole with little fear because I knew exactly how to get out. I will say that I was not quick to try my luck… but the chair and I both knew the truth.
Let me compare this to an addict. Someone who has not conquered their addiction should stay out of the alcohol aisle. Someone who has conquered their addiction can pass through it without fear. The place is weak to them and it will not create temptation. They know that getting out of that hole was difficult and they choose to avoid it without much thought. Their mindset has changed.
Do not assume that I am trying to point your mind in one direction or another. The truth is that I want us to all recognize how important it is to learn to direct our own mind rather than letting it remain in the direction of others. We need the direction of others who we trust at times but too many people are actually controlled by the news or the gossip of the day and at the root of these places is always the mindset of a few people. I am sure that it is a valid mindset, but is it yours? We do not get to say that we have control over much in this world but we still control what we think. By extension we control what we spend our time thinking about, looking at, hearing, and understanding.
The mechanics of controlling your own mindset actually begin with controlling the information that you receive. This is the old “Garbage in Garbage out scenario” It was stated in reference to computer programming. If the program you enter into the system is trash, the calculations the system makes will be trash as well. In the same way when we feed ourselves on information that does not serve the life we would like to have, hope to have, or deserve; then we are going to get that as an end result (The life that we do not want to have, hope to have, or even deserve.)
So it would seem that our place to begin is quite simple and probably the same place you have begun a thousand times before. What sort of life do you hope to have? How do you envision that your life should look today? What separates the life you are hoping for from the one you are actually living? I am sure there are actual physical and spiritual things which seem to have very clear steps. I doubt that you really know what the steps are or how to close the gap between what you want and what you have in life, if you did you would probably have what you want.
Perhaps you do have most of what you want in life, but like many of us there are still a few things missing. The worst cases are actually those who really do have all that they want and need (or so they think) these people often do not know what else to do and so they wrestle with things to no end. So I will add to this a bit by suggesting that I am not only offering you a bridge to the things that you desire in this life I am also offering you the peace and the joy that comes from being okay with your life all along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment