MIndset

Friday, September 5, 2014

Mindset (Page 1-9)

Mechanism
There are a number of factors that can be said to affect mindset. It is sort of a chicken and the egg scenario. Does our mindset affect our life or does our life affect our mindset? To be clear both are true. Our mindset does affect our life and so is our mindset affected by the life we experience.
Many will simply try to take this as an opportunity to express their belief one way or another. Perhaps the mindset we choose to have will steer us in the direction we are traveling, but then our mindset is altered by the direction we end up traveling. Anyone who suggests that you are not affected by the things that happen in your life is not being honest about their own experience. It is another thing entirely to become infected by those things.
To be effected is to acknowledge the experience and determine how it will ultimately affect the outcome of your life. To be infected is to let the situation or situations fester into something that merely needs to be removed. In the psychologists chair you will often find this person trying to make heads or tails of their life, trying to get back to normal. It is really difficult to convince this person that changing their mindset will in fact change or alter the course of their life; in the same way… they are paying big bucks for that very thing. It is the mindset that the psychologist is tampering with or better said, allowing the patient to tamper with and alter.
The psychologist (if they are any good) will merely listen to the patient, guiding them through thoughts and memories in hopes that they will begin to work out of their life; whatever they have worked in. When I was a child, perhaps 3 years old, I had a chair that was my favorite. It was a little school chair, just my size and it fit me well. My older sister loved to play school with me because she could sit at the head of the class and teach me all the lessons she had been given in her classes. It was not particularly fun for me but she was my older sister and there was some obligation put upon me to participate in her games.
On one particular day of this form of make believe I was not paying very close attention to her, I was fiddling in my seat and mucking around the way toddlers do when they get bored. At some point in the passing events I found my head stuck in that little hole between the seat and the chair’s back. I had no idea how I had gotten into this mess, I simply knew that my head could not be removed. This elicited a touch of panic in me that would definitely make the situation worse.
My mindset was so thoroughly controlled by the situation that I found myself in, that I could not even consider an actual solution to the problem. I totally bought into the fear that I felt, that I would never get out of this situation, that I would be injured and in pain. None of this was rational; it was the panic of a foolish child.
So much of our mindsets are the result of panic moments, the programming of a life that does not give us the results we hoped for or desired. If you swerve out of the way of a kitten and total your car by hitting a tree, you are set to program your mind in another way… the kitten may be safe but what about your car? To some this is a fair trade, and they will do the same again without thought, they will not adjust the program. To others, it is not worth the damage. Let me up the ante a bit; let’s imagine that when you swerve to avoid the kitten you do not see the child playing next to the tree.
I do not need to be graphic here; your mind probably defaulted on the worst possible scenario. Few would let that sort of program remain; they will add an adjustment to the value of the kitten’s life. If I swerve to save one life and take another then my program needs to include this new information, my actions need to reflect the new thought pattern.
Back in my childhood room my sister tries to calm me down. She talks to me comfortingly, but I suspect that she does not want mom and dad involved. I, on the other hand, find that mom and dad are just who I need. While I scream in fear she tries to tug on my body and pull me free before they come. This does not work… it only creates more fear and panic in me and the situation is more critical than I thought… I am really stuck.


No comments:

Post a Comment